The Jeep Gladiator is a popular midsize pickup truck that combines the rugged off-road capabilities of a Jeep with the utility of a truck. One key feature that sets the Gladiator apart from other trucks on the market is its ability to be customized with a range of different tops. This includes a soft top, which many drivers prefer for its versatility and ease of use.
So, does the Jeep Gladiator have a soft top? The answer is yes. The Gladiator comes standard with a soft top as part of the Freedom Top package. This top is designed to be easy to use, with a zipperless design allowing quick removal and installation. It also provides a lighter weight and more aerodynamic design, benefiting off-road driving.
Table of Contents
Overview of the Jeep Gladiator
The Jeep Gladiator is a midsize pickup truck in production since 2019. It is designed to offer the rugged off-road capabilities of a Jeep Wrangler combined with the practicality and utility of a pickup truck. The Gladiator is built on the same platform as the Wrangler and shares many features and components.
The Gladiator has several trims, including the Sport, Sport S, Overland, Rubicon, and Mojave. Each trim level offers different features and capabilities, catering to various needs and preferences. The Gladiator can be customized with various options and accessories, allowing buyers to tailor it to their needs and tastes.
One of the unique features of the Gladiator is its ability to remove the roof and doors, providing an unparalleled open-air driving experience in the pickup truck market. The Gladiator is also available with various tops, including a soft top, a hardtop, and a power-retractable top.
The Gladiator is powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine that produces 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. It is paired with either a six-speed manual or eight-speed automatic transmission. The Gladiator also has a 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine that produces 260 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque.
In terms of towing and payload capacity, the Gladiator can tow up to 7,650 pounds and carry a payload of up to 1,700 pounds, depending on the configuration. The Gladiator also offers impressive off-road capabilities, with features such as skid plates, locking differentials, and a disconnecting sway bar.
Jeep Gladiator Soft Top Options
The Jeep Gladiator is a versatile vehicle that can be customized to suit the needs of its owner. One of the most popular options for the Gladiator is a soft top. Soft tops can be removed to provide an open-air driving experience, making the Gladiator the perfect vehicle for off-road adventures.
Factory Soft Top
The factory soft top is the soft top that comes standard with the Jeep Gladiator. It is a high-quality top made from durable materials and designed to last. The factory soft top is easy to install and remove, making it a popular choice for Gladiator owners who want the benefits of a soft top without the hassle of aftermarket installation.
The factory soft top is available in various colors, including black, tan, and gray. It is also available in different configurations, including a full top, a half top, and a bikini top. The full top provides complete coverage and protection from the elements, while the half top and bikini top offers a more open-air driving experience.
Aftermarket Soft Tops
Aftermarket soft tops are another option for Jeep Gladiator owners who want to customize their vehicles. Aftermarket soft tops are available in a wide range of styles and configurations, including full tops, half tops, and bikini tops. They are also available in a variety of colors and materials, allowing owners to choose the perfect soft top for their needs.
One of the benefits of aftermarket soft tops is that they can be customized to suit the owner’s needs. For example, some aftermarket soft tops are designed to be more durable than the factory soft top, making them a better choice for off-road adventures. Other aftermarket soft tops are designed to be more lightweight, making them a better choice for those who want a more open-air driving experience.
- Jeep J20 Gladiator (Pickup Truck) Specs And Review?
- How Much Does It Cost To Lift A Jeep Gladiator? A Comprehensive Guide
How to Install a Soft Top on a Jeep Gladiator?
Installing a soft top on a Jeep Gladiator is a straightforward process that can be completed in a few hours. Follow the Step-by-Step Guide below to install a soft top on your Jeep Gladiator.
- Remove the hard top (if applicable): If your Jeep Gladiator has a hard top, remove it before installing the soft top. Refer to the owner’s manual for instructions on removing the hard top.
- Assemble the soft top: Lay out the soft top on a flat surface and assemble it according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer.
- Install the door surrounds: Install the door surrounds onto the Jeep Gladiator’s body. The door surrounds are necessary for attaching the soft top to the vehicle. Refer to the owner’s manual for instructions on how to install the door surrounds.
- Attach the soft top to the door surrounds: Attach the soft top to the door surrounds by sliding the fabric into the channels on the door surrounds. Make sure the fabric is snug and secure.
- Install the rear window: Install the rear window onto the soft top. Refer to the owner’s manual for instructions on how to install the rear window.
- Install the bow assembly: Install the bow assembly onto the Jeep Gladiator’s body. The bow assembly provides support for the soft top. Refer to the owner’s manual for instructions on how to install the bow assembly.
- Adjust the tension: Adjust the tension of the soft top by tightening or loosening the straps and buckles. Make sure the soft top is tight and secure.
- Test the soft top: Test the soft top by opening and closing it a few times to ensure it functions properly.
Pros and Cons of a Soft Top on a Jeep Gladiator
A soft top is a popular option for the Jeep Gladiator. Here are some pros and cons to consider before making a purchase decision:
- Lightweight: A soft top is lighter than a hardtop, which can improve fuel economy and off-road performance.
- Easy to Remove: Soft tops are easy to remove, allowing for an open-air driving experience.
- More Affordable: Soft tops are generally less expensive than hardtops, making them a more budget-friendly option.
- Quieter than Before: Modern soft tops are engineered to reduce wind noise and improve cabin insulation.
- Less Secure: Soft tops are less secure than hardtops and can be more easily damaged or cut open.
- Less Durable: Soft tops are less durable than hardtops and may require more frequent replacement.
- Less Insulated: Soft tops are less insulated than hardtops and may not be as effective in extreme weather conditions.
- Less Protection: Soft tops offer less protection against theft and weather damage than hardtops.
Jeep Gladiator offers a soft top option known as the “Freedom Top” package, providing a convertible-like experience with the added security of a hardtop. However, prospective buyers should consider certain factors. Taller drivers might find the front seating area cramped with the top-up. Moreover, the soft top may lack the durability and weather resistance of a hardtop, which is crucial for harsh weather conditions.
Ultimately, choosing between a soft top and a hardtop for the Jeep Gladiator depends on individual preferences and requirements, including comfort, durability, and weather resistance, ensuring an optimal driving experience.
How easy is it to remove and install the soft top?
The Jeep Gladiator’s soft top can be easily removed and installed with the help of a few simple tools. It is important to note that the process may take some time, especially for those doing it for the first time. However, with practice, the process becomes easier and quicker.
How does the soft top hold up in different weather conditions?
The soft top is designed to withstand weather conditions like rain, wind, and snow. It is made from high-quality materials that are water-resistant and durable. However, it is important to note that prolonged exposure to extreme weather conditions may cause wear and tear on the soft top.
Can the soft top be replaced with a hard top?
Yes, the soft top can be replaced with a hard top. Jeep offers different options for hard tops that can be easily installed on the Gladiator. It is important to note that the hard top is heavier than the soft top and may affect the vehicle’s overall performance.
How does the soft top affect the vehicle’s aerodynamics?
The soft top is designed to give the Jeep Gladiator a lighter weight and more aerodynamic design. This helps to improve the vehicle’s overall performance and fuel efficiency. However, it is important to note that the soft top may cause some wind noise at higher speeds.
How does the soft top affect the vehicle’s resale value?
The soft top is a popular option among Jeep enthusiasts and may increase the vehicle’s resale value. However, it is important to note that the resale value may vary depending on the condition of the soft top and the vehicle’s overall condition.