Have you ever dreamed of owning an iconic Jeep Wrangler, but thought you couldn’t afford the price tag? The Jeep Wrangler X offers an affordable way to get into these legendary off-road machines while still providing impressive capability.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about the Wrangler X including:
- A background on where this trim fits into the Wrangler lineup
- An overview of the standard features that make it fully capable off-road
- The most popular optional upgrades owners love to add
- How the Wrangler X compares to other trims like the Sport and Rubicon
- The type of Jeep shopper this model is best suited for
- And finally, a takeaway on why it hits a sweet spot between price and performance
After reading, you’ll have a complete understanding of the Jeep Wrangler X’s unique mix of authentic open-air 4×4 fun, everyday livability, and value. Time to start daydreaming about conquering the trails in your new Wrangler!
Table of Contents
A Brief Background on the Jeep Wrangler X
The Wrangler X was first introduced for the 2019 model year as an affordable offering in the Wrangler family. Up until that point, those wanting Wrangler fun without a high price tag were limited to the base Sport trim.
Jeep realized there was an opportunity to create a new value-oriented trim that still maintained the Wrangler’s impressive off-road credentials. And so the Wrangler X was born!
This new trim level is based on the Sport but with a leaner mix of features to hit a lower price point. By removing some comfort and convenience items that mainstream buyers can live without, Jeep could offer the X at thousands below a loaded Wrangler.
For traditionalists and off-roaders, this created the perfect chance to get a highly capable Wrangler for well under $30,000 after discounts. The X provides an affordable entry point to experience the Wrangler’s fun open-air character and excellent 4×4 performance.
Standard Features and Capabilities of the Wrangler X
Make no mistake, the Wrangler X retains the robust hardware needed for serious off-road use. Here are some of the notable standard features:
- Powerful 3.6L V6 Engine – Every Wrangler X comes equipped with Jeep’s Pentastar 3.6L V6 producing 285 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque. This proven engine has plenty of low-end grunt to conquer obstacles while providing sufficient power for highway driving.
- Rear Locking Differential – The available rear locking differential is included as standard equipment on the X. This allows equal power to be sent to both rear wheels, giving added traction in low-grip off-road conditions.
- Heavy Duty Dana Axles – Wrangler models feature Dana axles front and rear. These are revered in off-roading for their strength and durability in handling hard use over rough terrain.
- Command-Trac 4×4 System – This part-time 4×4 system has a 2.72:1 low-range gear ratio allowing the Wrangler X to creep along slowly with maximum control on tricky obstacles.
- High Towing Capacity – Thanks to its sturdy frame and potent V6, the Wrangler X can tow up to 3,500 pounds when properly equipped. This allows you to haul toys like boats, ATVs, and campers on weekend adventures.
As you can see, the Wrangler X comes well prepared to handle both daily driving and escapes off the beaten path. The powertrain, 4×4 system, and axles are similar to what you’ll find on the pricier Sahara and Rubicon trims.
Popular Optional Upgrades for the Wrangler X
One benefit of the X is that you can customize it to suit your needs through individual options. Here are some of the most popular upgrades owners choose:
- Hardtop or Premium Soft Top – The standard Sunrider soft top provides open-air freedom, but many opt for the upgraded premium soft top or available hardtop for more comfort and security. Hardtops offer a quieter ride.
- Automatic Transmission – The standard 6-speed manual is preferred by some for maximum control off-road. But most choose the smooth-shifting 8-speed automatic transmission for easier daily driving.
- Technology Packages – Packages like the 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto make everyday use more convenient. Upgraded audio systems are also popular upgrades.
- Off-Road Upgrades – The Wrangler X can be outfitted with skid plates, upgraded bumpers, lift kits, winches, and other enhancements to tackle rugged trails.
- Convenience Group – This package adds useful features like remote start, security alarm, and dual-zone automatic climate control.
The aftermarket catalog of accessories is nearly endless for Wranglers. Half the fun of owning one is customizing it over time to reflect your personality and passions. The Wrangler X provides the perfect starting point to build your dream Jeep as funds allow.
How Does the Wrangler X Compare to Other Trims?
If you’re cross-shopping Wrangler models, here is how the X stacks up:
- vs Sport – The base Sport trim saves you about $3,000 upfront over the X. But you lose the more capable rear locker, tow hooks, and premium interior. The X adds more value for just a small difference.
- vs Sahara – Moving up to the Sahara gets you more luxury featuring leather seats, 18″ wheels, and body-color fender flares. But the X still matches its off-road chops for $6,000 less.
- vs Rubicon – The hardcore Rubicon is the most capable Wrangler off-road with upgrades like front sway bar disconnect. It can also get quite pricey. The X offers similar durability and 4×4 prowess for far less.
Unless you need more luxury features or the max capability of the Rubicon, the X hits a great middle ground. You get excellent value without sacrificing the authentic, rugged Wrangler experience.
Who Is the Jeep Wrangler X Best Suited For?
The adventure-ready Wrangler X shines for these buyers:
Budget-Conscious Off-Road Enthusiasts
The Wrangler delivers some of the best off-road capability you’ll find in a stock SUV. With the rear locker and robust components, the Wrangler X can tackle tough terrain right from the dealership. Its value pricing makes this capability more accessible for thrill-seekers on a budget.
For purists who care more about rugged dependability than creature comforts, the back-to-basics X has lots of appeal. It provides an old-school Jeep experience reminiscent of the iconic CJ models. You still get modern reliability and safety with the classic open-air fun.
SUV Buyers Seeking Value
Most new car shoppers have price high on their list of factors. The X allows brand-loyal Jeep fans to get a new Wrangler for well under $30,000 with current discounts. That’s tough to beat for a go-anywhere SUV with room for five and a removable top.
Overall, the Wrangler X is ideally suited to value-focused adventure seekers. It makes Jeep capability and heritage accessible at a price point many can manage.
The Takeaway – An Iconic Wrangler at an Attainable Price
After learning all about the Wrangler X’s offerings, there are a few key takeaways:
- This value-oriented trim provides an affordable entry point to Wrangler ownership, allowing you to experience the fun open-air character and impressive 4×4 capability.
- Standard features like the rear locker, Dana axles, rugged suspension and potent V6 give it strong off-road credentials right from the factory.
- There are plenty of ways to customize and upgrade your Wrangler X over time to suit your needs and budget.
- While it foregoes some luxury features, it focuses your dollars on reliable off-road performance.
- There’s no better option for traditional Jeep enthusiasts who want an authentic, bare-bones 4×4 without breaking the bank.
In a world where new cars are becoming increasingly expensive and complex, the purpose-built Wrangler X keeps things simple. This value-minded trim provides exciting open-air freedom blended with Jeep’s legendary 4×4 capability at an attainable price point.
If you’ve been hesitant to join the Jeep family because of higher pricing, this is your chance. The Wrangler X delivers a thrilling off-road experience with everyday livability, all wrapped in iconic Wrangler style. Take one for a test drive and you too may be hooked by its hard-to-resist fun factor.