Are you considering buying a 2021 Jeep Renegade but want to know more about its gas tank size, fuel efficiency, and overall mileage first? This in-depth article will give you the inside scoop on the Renegade’s gas specs so you can determine if it fits your needs.
The Jeep Renegade is one of the most popular compact SUVs thanks to its cool styling, rugged off-road capability, and versatility. But many shoppers have questions when it comes to the Renegade’s gas tank size, city and highway mpg, total fuel range, and how it compares to other small SUVs.
We’ll provide detailed answers to common questions about the Jeep Renegade’s gas mileage and fuel tank capacity. You’ll get the facts on how far it can drive per tank, what gas type it requires, and how it achieves such good fuel economy numbers despite its 4×4 prowess.
Let’s get started!
Table of Contents
What Is The Gas Tank Size Of The 2021 Jeep Renegade?
One of the most frequently asked questions about the Jeep Renegade is, what is the capacity of its gas tank?
The answer is that the 2021 Renegade has a relatively small 12.0 gallon fuel tank. This tank size leans towards the lower end of the spectrum for subcompact SUVs.
The reason for the smallish gas tank is the Renegade’s overall compact size. Jeep intelligently chose to maximize passenger and cargo room within the vehicle’s footprint, while keeping the gas tank size adequate but not oversized.
For context, other small SUVs like the Hyundai Kona and Chevrolet Trax have slightly larger 13.2-14 gallon tanks, while the tiny Nissan Kicks has a comparable 12.0 gallon tank.
So while not class-leading in size, the Renegade’s 12.0 gallon fuel tank capacity is understandable given its proportions, and sufficient for its intended usage.
What Is The City And Highway MPG Of The Jeep Renegade?
Another common gas-related question is, what kind of mileage does the Jeep Renegade achieve in both city and highway driving?
MPG can vary based on which engine and trim level you choose, so here is a detailed rundown:
- The entry-level Sport and Latitude trims equipped with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine achieve 21-24 city mpg and 29-32 highway mpg.
- Stepping up to the Latitude and Limited trims with the optional 1.3L turbocharged 4-cylinder engine nets 21-24 city mpg and 29-32 highway mpg.
- The off-road ready Trailhawk and luxury High Altitude trims with the 1.3L turbo manage 21-24 city mpg and 29-32 highway mpg.
So in summary, you can expect city mileage ranging from 21-24 mpg, while highway estimates fall between 29-32 mpg, depending on Renegade configuration. These are respectable numbers for a 4×4-capable compact SUV.
How Far Can The Renegade Go On A Tank Of Gas?
Now that we know the Renegade’s gas tank size and mpg ratings, a common follow-up question is how far can it drive on a full tank?
Thanks to its 12.0 gallon tank capacity and highway fuel estimates in the high-20s, the Renegade can achieve over 330 miles with combined city/highway driving before needing to refuel.
For example, if your commute involves 75% highway driving at 29 mpg, you could theoretically drive over 381 miles between fill-ups. More real-world mixed usage would net 330 miles per tank.
In the city only, the Renegade can cruise approximately 279.4 miles when driving conservatively before the gas gauge hits empty, depending on engine and mpg.
Overall the Renegade provides substantial daily and road trip driving range thanks to its gas tank size and excellent highway fuel economy numbers. You’ll be able to rely on it for lengthy trips without constantly searching for the next gas station.
How Does The Renegade’s Gas Mileage Compare To Rivals?
How does the Jeep Renegade’s fuel efficiency stack up against its main subcompact SUV competitors like the Chevrolet Trax, Hyundai Kona, Nissan Juke, etc?
The Renegade finishes in the middle of the pack with combined city/highway mileage in the high 20s to low 30s mpg range. For example, front-wheel drive versions of the Trax and Kona achieve 29-31 mpg combined.
Where the Jeep Renegade stands out is providing competitive fuel economy while also delivering legitimate 4×4 off-road performance. Competitors lack the option of advanced AWD systems for tough terrain.
Renegade models equipped with Jeep Active Drive all-wheel drive maximize traction on slippery surfaces or uneven dirt and trails, all while using fuel sparingly. That’s a unique value proposition in this vehicle class.
In summary, the Renegade gets pleasing gas mileage for a rugged compact SUV. Don’t let its 4×4 credentials fool you – it can achieve 29+ mpg on the highway using fuel intelligently.
What Gasoline Grade Does The Jeep Renegade Require?
What type of gas should you fill the Renegade with?
The good news is that regular 87 octane fuel is perfectly fine for all models with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine. There is no need to purchase more expensive premium gasoline.
For Renegade trims equipped with the 1.3L turbo engine, Jeep recommends using 91 octane premium fuel. However, these versions can also run safely on regular 87 octane gas with a slight reduction in performance and economy.
So in summary:
- All Renegades with the 2.4L engine require only regular unleaded gas.
- Turbocharged Renegades prefer but don’t require premium 91 octane fuel for optimal driving characteristics.
This flexibility allows you to choose whichever gasoline grade fits your budget and driving needs.
How Does The Jeep Renegade Achieve Such Good MPG?
Now that you know the Renegade’s gas tank specs, fuel economy ratings, and gas type requirements, you may be wondering how Jeep engineered a vehicle with serious off-road chops to earn such respectable mileage.
There are a few clever technologies and design choices that allow the Renegade to use fuel so efficiently:
- Lightweight materials – Excess vehicle weight hurts fuel economy. Renegade uses high-strength steels to maximize stiffness while minimizing weight.
- Aerodynamic shape – The rounded, sloped styling helps the Renegade slice through the air more efficiently.
- Cylinder deactivation – 4-cylinder models deactivate two cylinders during steady highway cruising.
- Stop-start technology – The engine automatically shuts off when idling to prevent wasting fuel.
- Turbocharging – Smaller turbocharged engines provide more power from less displacement.
- Low rolling resistance tires – Special tread designs minimize energy wasted through tire friction.
Kudos to Jeep engineers for packing the Renegade with effective fuel saving measures without compromising its off-road mastery. These clever technologies allow you to get the most out of every gallon.
Should You Buy A 2021 Jeep Renegade?
Now that you have extensive details about the Renegade’s gas tank size, fuel efficiency, driving range and more, should you consider purchasing one?
The Renegade makes sense if you want:
- Excellent fuel economy for a capable 4×4 platform
- The ability to take longer road trips without frequent gas stops
- Confidence exploring off-road with optimal traction that uses fuel minimally
- A rugged but efficient daily driver with personality
If a balance of efficiency and adventure suits your needs, schedule a test drive at your Jeep dealer. Experience the Renegade’s unique formula of fuel-sipping economy and off-road grit firsthand.
You’ll quickly appreciate how Jeep maximized mileage without compromising the brand’s legendary 4×4 competence. This smart engineering allows the Renegade to achieve 29 mpg on the highway despite its trail-tackling talents.
The Bottom Line – Renegade Gas Tank And MPG Facts:
To summarize key details about the 2021 Jeep Renegade’s gas and efficiency specs:
- Fuel tank capacity sits at 12.0 gallons, towards the lower end for the segment but ample for its size.
- City mileage ranges from 21-24 mpg depending on engine choice. Highway economy reaches 29-32 mpg for most configurations.
- Total range sits around 330 miles per tankful thanks to great highway fuel economy.
- Gas mileage is very respectable versus other small SUVs, especially when considering its available 4×4 systems.
- All trims can run on regular 87 octane gas. Turbo models recommend but don’t require premium fuel.
- Clever engineering solutions enable surprisingly good mpg despite ruggedness.
In conclusion, the Renegade proves you can have an adventure-ready compact SUV without sacrificing fuel efficiency. It achieves up to 29 highway mpg, taking you hundreds of miles between fill-ups.
We hope this detailed overview of the Renegade’s gas tank specs, fuel economy, and range gives you the facts to decide if it’s the right small SUV for your needs. Check out your local Jeep dealer for test drives and incentives on remaining 2021 models. The adventure-ready Renegade may just win you over!